ENGAGING THE TEAM IN CREATING A COACHING CULTURE
An innovative approach to developing coaching skills and coaching culture. The origins of this approach lie in analysis of why sending line managers off on a course to learn to coach direct reports usually doesn’t work. The “sheep-dip” approach fails because it does not take into account the systemic nature of the relationship between line manager and the team and assumes wrongly that coaching is something that line managers do to people, rather than with them.
This course is based on the principles that:
- Coaching is a shared activity between line managers and their direct reports, where both influence the success of the learning process
- The most effective way to develop the skills of coaching and being coached is over time, with frequent opportunities for practice, mutual feedback and reflection
- Because coaching is a learning conversation, the learning conversation is an effective way to learn about coaching
The resource is made up of up to 20 modules, each a conversation between the line manager and his or her team about an aspect of coaching. Together, the modules provide a basis for effective, sustainable, collective learning, in short sessions of 60-90 minutes.
The process can be facilitated by a trainer from outside the team; or the line manager can be trained to facilitate the learning process. Either way, it is expected that the team will manage its own learning sessions after it has completed a few modules.
Generally a 3 day face to face course, or delivered across a longer timeframe in smaller virtual sessions. Can be adapted to suite.
WHO IS THE COURSE FOR?
- Builds commitment by involving everyone
- Highly time flexible
- Multi-media learning allows for a wide spectrum of learning styles and preferences
- Incorporates latest understanding of good practice in coaching within teams
- Influences the corporate culture at the point of greatest leverage
- Highly cost-effective – arguably the most cost-effective form of coaching development to date
- The entire team learns how to coach and be coached by each other
IS IT ALIGNED TO ACCREDITING BODIES?
All of CCMI’s products and services align to industry best practice and international standards from the EMCC and other major accrediting bodies.