In corporate programmes, a small group of supervisors (or just one) is usually appointed. If, however, you find you need to select your own supervisor, the following advice may be helpful:
- Be clear what kind of supervision you are looking for (e.g. individual or group? With an emphasis on a particular psychological approach?) and look for a supervisor with that experience or background
- Write a “job description” for what you want to achieve from the relationship
- If you are looking for professional supervision, make sure they are genuinely qualified and not just a peer coach with more experience!
- Look for someone, who will challenge you and help you gain a deeper understanding of yourself as a coach (and as a person)
- Look for someone you will be able to be honest with
© David Clutterbuck. All rights reserved