Use this simple diagnostic tool to assess how much fun you have at work.
Tick all those that apply with a Yes.
- Most of the time, I am energised by the work I do
- While I can switch off from my work when I go home, I look forward to picking it up again when I return
- I often find that I have a bright idea about something at work, when I’m relaxing and doing something else – and I’m OK about that
- I feel I am constantly learning and growing through my work
- I get a strong feeling of self-worth through my work
- I see clearly how my work contributes towards a worthwhile, bigger outcome
- I feel generally in control of my work and how I do it
- I get a lot of satisfaction from completing tasks
- I get a lot of satisfaction from contributing to helping other people complete their tasks
- I never feel any conflict between my personal values and what I’m asked to do at work
- No matter how busy we are, we always make time for each other
- We are interested in each other’s lives outside work
- We are good at seeing the ridiculous side of situations, even when things have gone badly wrong
- We laugh with each other, not at each other
- I have lots of friendships at work
- We get concerned when we see a colleague feeling down
- We have our most creative ideas when we have less serious conversations, with lots of laughter
- We feed off each other’s enthusiasm and creativity
- We are pleased by each other’s successes and achievements, both at work and elsewhere
- We are happy to blur the boundaries between our social lives at work and outside work
For very tick or Yes, count them up:
14 and above: Your work environment plays to your energies and interests, gives you the support you need and generally feels like a great place to work.
8 – 14: The working environment is neither consistently supportive or unsupportive.
0 – 7: This is not a team climate where people can thrive and bring their whole selves into collaborative work.
© David Clutterbuck. All rights reserved